Rules and Registration
- Each team must have three (3) members.
- If any member of the team is under the age of eighteen (18) years old, AT LEAST one (1) member of the team MUST BE at least eighteen (18) years old.
- A participant under the age of eighteen (18) must obtain the CONSENT of a parent or guardian before participating.
- TWO OF THE THREE PARTICIPANTS MUCH BE SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZENS OR PERMANENT RESIDENTS. If you wish to change members of the team, please let the Organisers know before the day of the event.
- ALL TEAM MEMBERS MUST HAVE OR BE IN THE PROCESS OF OBTAINING A PASSPORT. All passports must have a minimum of six months validity PAST November 23, 2023 i.e. your passport must be valid through to at least May 23, 2024.
- MUST BE ABLE TO TRAVEL TO JAPAN, IN PRINCIPLE, IN THE EVENT YOU WIN THE SOUTH AFRICAN COMPETITION. The SPOGOMI World Cup 2023 event will take place from November 20 – 23, 2023.
- SPOGOMI will cover the cost of travel to Japan, accommodation, meals, and any other expenses needed ONLY during the event dates.
- If for some reason a member of the qualifying team is unable to come to Japan for the World Cup, up to TWO (2) members may be replaced. If all three members are unable to travel to Japan, the SECOND-placed team will be considered the representatives.
- WHEELCHAIR USERS ARE WELCOME. Please note that the competition venue may be difficult to move around depending on your location.
- Please wear clothes suitable for physical activity on the day of the event. Changing rooms will NOT be provided.
- The ORGANISING TEAM will provide work gloves, garbage bags, and 1 set of tongs per team. No items outside those provided by the Organising Team may be used for trash pickup.
- Please bring your own rain gear if there is a threat of rain.
- If the event is canceled due to inclement weather, we will notify you by 17:00 the day before the event.
- Please note that photos and videos taken on the day of the event may be used later in web pages and publicity materials related to the event.
- There is no fee to participate in the event, but participants will be responsible for their own transportation costs to and from the venue.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MAY BE ASKED TO CO-OPERATE IN TEMPERATURE CHECKS (AND ETC.) AS PART OF COVID-19 MEASURES
- Participants compete for points awarded according to the type and weight of trash picked up in a designated time and area. The team with the highest score will win.
- The trash pickup will be 1 hour and the sorting will be 20 minutes. Points will be deducted if the time is exceeded.
- A team consists of three (3) members.
- Multiple judges are stationed in the competition area to ensure safety and rule compliance. A caution may be given when rules are violated. If the violation is not corrected after multiple cautions, points will be deducted and the competitor will be disqualified.
- Please observe traffic rules and other rules in addition to the rules set forth here, and conduct your activities safely.
- Please be especially careful on narrow roadways. in the event of injury or accident during the competition, please notify the judges and staff around you and ask for instructions.
Rules of the Competition
1. THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE FIRST AND LAST MEMBER SHOULD NOT BE MORE THAN TEN (10) METERS APART
- The team’s task is completed when the last member crosses the finish line and reports to the judge standing at the finish line.
- Do not run! (Fast walking is allowed).
2. WHAT NOT TO PICK UP
- Trash already in garbage bins or trash receptacles.
- Trash left at garbage collection points.
- Trash that appears to be owned by others.
- Bulky waste i.e. large trash that doesn’t fit in the garbage bags (e.g. fans, cushions, etc.).
- Hazardous waste – any trash that is dangerous (e.g. syringes, batteries, etc.).
- Trash picked up by lifting road gutters and dovetails.
3. DO NOT LEAVE THE COMPETITION AREA
4. AREAS YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ENTER
- Rivers and oceans (unless it is the contested area).
- Private property.
- Exclusive parking lots (i.e. parking lots exclusively for companies or organisations)
5. OBSERVE TRAFFIC RULES
Point Reduction and Disqualification
1. IF A PLAYER IS CAUTIONED BY THE JUDGE AND REPEATEDLY (3 OR MORE TIMES) FAILS TO COMPLY WITH THE CAUTION, POINTS MAY BE DEDUCTED
- In the case of malicious behaviour, the judge may disqualify the player at their own discretion.
2. CASES WITH POINT REDUCTION
- Violation of the “Rules of Competition” as set out above.
- If you do not return after completing trash pickup in time, -10 points for every minute, disqualification for more than 10 minutes late e.g. 1 to 59 seconds late is -10 points, 60 to 119 seconds late is -20 points.
- If trash is not properly separated at the time of weighing -100 points (weighing is performed after the trash is separated.If you pick up something that is covered by “What Not To Pick Up” above, -100 points.
3. CASES OF DISQUALIFICATION
- If you travel by means other than walking, such as train/bus/taxi/bicycle, etc.
- Any increase in the weight of trash by any means other than pickup up fallen trash.
- Bulking up the weight of trash with water / add trash from the garbage bins / or taking trash from store, etc.
- Behaviour not in keeping with good sportsmanship e.g. engaging in violent behaviour, swearing at other teams or judges, etc.
- When you do not heed the warnings of judges and staff and continue to engage in malicious acts.
- In the event that you return to the venue more than 10 minutes later than the designated time for trash pickup.
- Any other actions not listed here that are deemed dangerous, malicious, or otherwise inappropriate for the purpose of sports trash pickup will be subject to point deductions and disqualification.